Title: Education & Scholarships Sector Director
Report to: Programs Director
Working Hours /Week: 39.5
The Education & Scholarships Sector Director is responsible for all Sawiris Foundation for Social Development (SFSD) Educational programs and all Higher Education Programs. SFSD has a large and growing Education and Scholarships department and a strong track record of 20 years in impacting education in Egypt. The education portfolio spans 17 active scholarship programs across the world, a community schools program focused on provision of high-quality education in Upper Egypt, two vocational schools that SFSD set up and oversees in the fields of hospitality and nursing, in addition to other substantial educational programs with reputable partners. The sector houses four programs across different age groups, starting from a pre-primary education program, a basic education program, a TVET program, and a higher education program, with an ongoing budget of approx. EGP 300M.
The Director is responsible for directly managing and mentoring a team of 4-6 members to implement the SFSD education and scholarships sector strategy and close monitoring of sector team professional and personal development.
This includes coordinating, monitoring the development and implementation of education projects starting from reviewing ideas & concepts that are based on scientific evidence (in collaboration with other sectors), work plans, overall quality control process of the projects, monitoring and evaluation (in collaboration with Learning and Strategy (L&S)), in addition to the oversight of corrective actions based on process/ impact evaluations results and outcomes.
The director is responsible to supervise overall partner NGOs quality of implementation in coordination with the L&S department.
The director works closely with the learning and innovation on producing learning products related to the education sector such as blogs, policy briefs, …etc.
Primary areas of responsibility:
Higher Education Programs:
I. Operational activities (based on SFSD scholarships program goals & strategic plan)
- Participates in development of strategic plan to expand opportunities and impact of Scholarships.
- Establishes, together with Scholarships Manager, new scholarship programs from concept to implementation.
- Ensures efficient processing of scholarship productions, decision-making process and distribution of awards by designated deadline dates.
- Ensures grievance redress mechanisms are developed and functioning.
- Oversees administration of scholarships programs ensuring that awards are processed according to SFSD objective and within budget projections.
- Participates in the selection process and represents’ SFSD in scholarship selection panels and in committees meetings as needed.
- Ensure the proper disbursement and accounting of funds with the collaboration of the financial auditors and financial director.
II. Communication & Networking -
Supports outreach to expand scholarship opportunities consistent with strategic plan through:
- Researching trends and preparing statistics pertaining to current and historical data concerning all scholarship programs for briefings and conferences.
- Initiating annual communication with scholarships partners.
- Promoting scholarship opportunities for students using public information materials and presentations.
- Preparing and distributing brochures and information packets on the scholarship programs.
- Managing and approving all media and communications documents related to the education and scholarships sector.
- Participate in seminars, events related to the education and scholarships sector.
- Keeping abreast on latest developments in national higher education issues and best practices, and how they impact our scholarships programs.
I. Operational activities - Design and planning:
- Conduct research on ongoing and potential areas of work.
- Review and evaluate grant request proposals.
- Perform field and desk assessment of projects.
- Network with ongoing and prospective partners (in collaboration with Partnerships Director).
- Contact with partners (in collaboration with Partnerships Director).
- Develop project implementation tools including follow-up, monitoring and evaluation guidelines and templates.
- Oversee key educational programs including managed under SFSD portfolio.
II. Networking & Communication:
- Establish direct relationships with partners/NGOs and consultants who possess the needed expertise within the framework of the core of educational projects.
- Develop and maintain regular contacts with NGOs, governmental non-governmental institutions and the development community at large.
- Manage the periodic update of educational project portfolio for website.
Education and/or Experience:
- Master’s degree and experience in relevant field required.
- Experience with student financial aid programs preferred 8-12 years minimum experience with service oriented responsibilities.
- Experience in Educational projects and a closely related field experience is an advantage.
- Strong Managerial skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills in both Arabic and English.
- Native-speaker proficiency in Arabic composition.
- Proficiency in English composition.
- German is a plus.
- Experience in executive report writing.
How to Apply:
To apply please send the application form and your CV to: email@example.com with the subject line “Candidate Name – Education & Scholarships Sector Director”
The deadline for application is Oct 31, 2021.