Sawiris Cultural Award Announces its Shortlist for the 16th Edition
The Sawiris Foundation for Social Development (SFSD) and the Sawiris Cultural Award Board of Trustees are delighted to announce the shortlisted nominees for the 2020 Sawiris Cultural Award in the categories of novels, short stories and screenplays for emerging and young writers.
The shortlist for the Best Novel includes (in random order):
• “Bayasat Al-Shawam” by Ahmed El-Fakharany
• “What Remains of the Sun” by Ahmed Al-Morsy
• “Random Arrangements” by Donia Kamal El-Kalash
• “Ahamr Lareng” Blood Oranges by Charles Akl
• “Camelia's Ghosts” by Nora Nagy
The shortlist for the Best Short Story Collections includes:
• “Sleep Thieves” by Amgad Al-Sabban
• “Visions of the Holy City” by OmaimaSobhi
• As If the Story Is Missing” by Gilan Al Shamsy
• “Long-term Plans” by Muhammad Farag
• "A Report on Al-Refaeia" by Muhammad Al-Fouly
The shortlist for the Best Scenario includes:
• "Alghazalat Alty Farat men Fena' Almadrsa" by Ahmed Ehab Abd al-Warith
• “Abdullah” by Paula Tadros Thabit
• “Where Did Shakir Abaza Go?” by Mahmoud Hassan Abdel-Alim
• “Hamlet” by Sayed Abd El-Nabi
• “Kilo 35” by Mahmoud Ahmed Abdel Rahman
. The Board of Trustees of the Sawiris Cultural Award extends its thanks to the writers who were keen to apply to the competition’s 16th edition, congratulates those who reached the short lists and wishes them success in the finals.
The Board of Trustees also confirms its dedication to keep highlighting the shortlisted works selected by the juries until the announcement of the final results during the annual ceremony which will take place on 8 January, 2021, at the Cairo Opera House’s Main Hall.